Welcome to Eyes.com, featuring the best information about LASIK, cataract treatment, eye diseases, glaucoma, and all things optical. Please upgrade your Flash Plugin and enable JavaScript to see our eye care video.

Cataract Surgery and Medicare

If you experience blurry vision, faded colors, or problems with light, you may be experiencing cataracts. A cataract is clouding of your eye’s lens and can lead to vision problems. The most common type of cataract is related to aging. Statistics reveal that more than half of all Americans over age 65 will suffer from cataracts.

If you are suffering a cataract, you can undergo cataract surgery to successfully restore your vision. The most commonly performed procedure in the United States, cataract surgery is a same-day procedure which takes only 10 to 20 minutes and involves replacing your cloudy lens with a plastic intraocular lens (IOL). 

At Eyes.com, we strive to provide you with thorough and accurate information so you can make an informed decision about your cataract surgery.

Cataracts and Medicare Coverage

Every year, Medicare’s administrative agency, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), determines the “allowed value of medical care” provided by healthcare professionals.

Most doctors agree to not charge Medicare patients more than this allowed amount. In most circumstances (including cataract surgery), Medicare will pay 80 percent of the allowed amount with patients responsible for the remaining 20 percent. This 20 percent is made in the form of a co-payment, after patients have met Medicare's $135 annual deductible for physician services.

Medicare will cover the cataract surgery, placement of your IOL and also one pair of glasses and basic frames following your procedure. If you choose specialty frames that are more expensive that what is covered by Medicare, you are responsible for paying the difference.

If you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please visit our Eye Doctor Directory to find an experienced eye surgeon in your area.

Schedule An Appointment
Ask an Eye Surgeon