Welcome to Eyes.com, featuring the best information about LASIK, cataract treatment, eye diseases, glaucoma, and all things optical. Please upgrade your Flash Plugin and enable JavaScript to see our eye care video.


Anisometropia is a condition that occurs when one eye sees a substantially larger image than the other eye. People suffering from anisometropia will experience blurred vision.

Causes of Anisometropia

In normal vision, the retinal image for each eye is roughly the same size and shape. In most cases, the difference between the size of the images perceived by each eye is less than 0.5%, although your brain can cope with differences of up to 5% before your vision is adversely affected.

When you suffer from anisometropia, the difference in size of your retinal images is greater than 5%. People with this condition may have a difference of as much as 20% between each eye.

Symptoms of Anisometropia

Symptoms of anisometropia include:

Detection/Diagnosis of Anisometropia

Your eye doctor can detect the presence of anisometropia during your routine vision test. It is important to detect and treat this condition early in order to avoid the development of more serious vision complications.

When your anisometropia is not corrected, your brain will chose the better of the two images and start to ignore the image coming from the other eye. Ultimately, this will lead to the development of a dominant eye. Once the condition is corrected, your brain may have to relearn how to use the weaker eye.

Treatment of Anisometropia

Anisometropia can be treated with glasses or contact lenses. Generally, your corrective lenses will contain a different prescription for each eye. In cases where anisometropia has gone untreated for a long time, you may need to gradually work up to your full prescription so that your eyes have time to adjust. The condition can also be treated with LASIK surgery.

Please contact an eye doctor in your area to learn more about anisometropia or to schedule a consultation.

Schedule An Appointment
Ask an Eye Surgeon